Re: Is democracy a prerequisite for human rights?
A person comes into existence with human rights. No geographical area contains them and apart from any form of control that refuses to honor them they exist. I understand your point of view however I don’t see human rights ever not existing. We are endowed with inalienable rights that were recognized by the founders of the United States who were in the position to establish an area of the earth that would take the necessary actions to help others understand they do exist. Rights all too often are taken away under the auspices that they don’t exist or are unclear. When human rights are violated we all suffer. Finding a way to allow people the hold their beliefs while tolerating others is proving to be a task that is challenging and daunting. It is what makes life so interesting and tragic simultaneously. How does one define human rights without somehow placing a limit on them? Human rights are dynamic and circumstantial that are rather limited in nature yet not in scope.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Despite incredible economic growth, it is not necessarily an investor's paradise.
- China's stock market is just 27 years old. It's economy has grown 30x over that time.
- Imagine if you had invested early and gotten in on the ground floor.
- Actually, you would have lost money. Here's how that's possible.
The controversy around the Torah codes gets a new life.
- Mathematicians claim to see a predictive pattern in the ancient Torah texts.
- The code is revealed by a method found with special computer software.
- Some events described by reading the code took place after the code was written.
- Facebook and Google began as companies with supposedly noble purposes.
- Creating a more connected world and indexing the world's information: what could be better than that?
- But pressure to return value to shareholders came at the expense of their own users.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.