Re: Is democracy a prerequisite for human rights?
A person comes into existence with human rights. No geographical area contains them and apart from any form of control that refuses to honor them they exist. I understand your point of view however I don’t see human rights ever not existing. We are endowed with inalienable rights that were recognized by the founders of the United States who were in the position to establish an area of the earth that would take the necessary actions to help others understand they do exist. Rights all too often are taken away under the auspices that they don’t exist or are unclear. When human rights are violated we all suffer. Finding a way to allow people the hold their beliefs while tolerating others is proving to be a task that is challenging and daunting. It is what makes life so interesting and tragic simultaneously. How does one define human rights without somehow placing a limit on them? Human rights are dynamic and circumstantial that are rather limited in nature yet not in scope.
- Patients from low-income neighborhoods are most at risk of negative health impacts.
- Unfortunately, many disparate factors are erasing the traditional Bajau way of life.
- Math teacher Lauren Miranda was fired from her Long Island school when a topless selfie surfaced.
- She's suing the school for $3 million as well as getting her job back, citing gender discrimination.
An innovation may lead to lifelike evolving machines.
- Scientists at Cornell University devise a material with 3 key traits of life.
- The goal for the researchers is not to create life but lifelike machines.
- The researchers were able to program metabolism into the material's DNA.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.