Re: Is climate change a human rights issue?
Human rights are immutable. They don't change depending on whether it's raining or not, or whether your clan has enough arable land this year. Saying that climate change is responsible for 200,000 deaths in Sudan is a perverse way to frame the issue and implicitly absolves the murderers of their actions, or at least that's how I understood it. I agree that climate change may produce tension and conflict that may lead to the dereliction of human rights, but that does not make climate change a human rights issue per se. I think to resolve this argument we would have to dig deeper into the idea of what a human right actually is and who is the guarantor of that right if there can even be a guarantor. Can there even be human rights without a guarantor? People often confuse "human rights" with "things they just really would like to happen to everyone."
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
For Damien Echols, tattoos are part of his existential armor.
- In prison Damien Echols was known by his number SK931, not his name, and had his hair sheared off. Stripped of his identity, the only thing he had left was his skin.
- This is why he began tattooing things that are meaningful to him — to carry a "suit of armor" made up the images of the people and things that have significance to him, from his friends to talismans.
- Echols believes that all places are imbued with divinity: "If you interact with New York City as if there's an intelligence behind... then it will behave towards you the same way.".
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
Even some teachers suffer from anxiety about math.
I teach people how to teach math, and I've been working in this field for 30 years. Across those decades, I've met many people who suffer from varying degrees of math trauma – a form of debilitating mental shutdown when it comes to doing mathematics.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.