Re: How should sex education be taught?
I would argue that schools are responsible for teaching sex education. In an ideal situation, this education would take part in addition to the efforts of the parents in informing their children about sex. However, many parents may not feel comfortable in doing so or may not have the extensive knowledge necessary in detailing the causes and effects of specific STDs, HIV, how to use contraceptives, etc.
Sex education should be an ongoing process but should begin no late than fifth grade (age 10). The taboo on sex in North America is absurd. Humans should be educated not only about the physical act of sex but also gender and sexual identities. By this I am referring to the necessity to remove taboos on sex by informing children about masturbation, heterosexual couples, same sex couples, and people who are transgendered of transsexual.
I wholeheartedly believe that much of the hate, anger, frustration, and sexual repression existing within North America could be improved through educating children about sex and sexual identities in a complex and inclusive manner.
The one aspect of sex education I would exclude, however, is abstinence-only education because this is misinformation and tells human beings to repress and deny their natural sexual desires.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
In his final years, Martin Luther King, Jr. become increasingly focused on the problem of poverty in America.
- Despite being widely known for his leadership role in the American civil rights movement, Martin Luther King, Jr. also played a central role in organizing the Poor People's Campaign of 1968.
- The campaign was one of the first to demand a guaranteed income for all poor families in America.
- Today, the idea of a universal basic income is increasingly popular, and King's arguments in support of the policy still make a good case some 50 years later.
10 of the most sandbagging, red-herring, and effective logical fallacies.
- Many an otherwise-worthwhile argument has been derailed by logical fallacies.
- Sometimes these fallacies are deliberate tricks, and sometimes just bad reasoning.
- Avoiding these traps makes disgreeing so much better.
For Damien Echols, tattoos are part of his existential armor.
- In prison Damien Echols was known by his number SK931, not his name, and had his hair sheared off. Stripped of his identity, the only thing he had left was his skin.
- This is why he began tattooing things that are meaningful to him — to carry a "suit of armor" made up the images of the people and objects that have significance to him, from his friends to talismans.
- Echols believes that all places are imbued with divinity: "If you interact with New York City as if there's an intelligence behind... then it will behave towards you the same way."
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.