Re: How much does sexual orientation define societal roles?
As a gay male who is just now discovering my sexuality and entering into an adult world where I can see the affects of LBGT groups and other organizations, I am not totally convinced they are always helpful. The problem with all minorities is the idea that many leaders of the minority want to exist as a separate group. Whether it is African Americans, Latin Americans, Muslim Americans, or Gay Americans, every minority group seems to have the couple of bad seeds that get the attention for wanting to keep from just being Americans. LBGT groups can be a useful resource, but often gay movements help further the stereotypes. For example, an LBGT group that helps promote AIDs awareness and research and helps with teens questioning their sexuality is an amazing thing. On the flip side, we do have LBGT groups that put on these fancy gay pride parades where gay men are half naked and dress like women. These groups actually hurt the LBGT cause more than help because give the people that are afraid of homosexuality more proof that we are not normal. And while keeping our own identity as Gay Americans is important, we must never be so foolish as to think that being just Americans is not important.
Upvote/downvote each of the videos below!
As you vote, keep in mind that we are looking for a winner with the most engaging social venture pitch - an idea you would want to invest in.
Here are 7 often-overlooked World Heritage Sites, each with its own history.
- UNESCO World Heritage Sites are locations of high value to humanity, either for their cultural, historical, or natural significance.
- Some are even designated as World Heritage Sites because humans don't go there at all, while others have felt the effects of too much human influence.
- These 7 UNESCO World Heritage Sites each represent an overlooked or at-risk facet of humanity's collective cultural heritage.
Famous physicists like Richard Feynman think 137 holds the answers to the Universe.
- The fine structure constant has mystified scientists since the 1800s.
- The number 1/137 might hold the clues to the Grand Unified Theory.
- Relativity, electromagnetism and quantum mechanics are unified by the number.
A new method promises to capture an elusive dark world particle.
- Scientists working on the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) devised a method for trapping dark matter particles.
- Dark matter is estimated to take up 26.8% of all matter in the Universe.
- The researchers will be able to try their approach in 2021, when the LHC goes back online.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.