Re: How much does sexual orientation define societal roles?
As a gay male who is just now discovering my sexuality and entering into an adult world where I can see the affects of LBGT groups and other organizations, I am not totally convinced they are always helpful. The problem with all minorities is the idea that many leaders of the minority want to exist as a separate group. Whether it is African Americans, Latin Americans, Muslim Americans, or Gay Americans, every minority group seems to have the couple of bad seeds that get the attention for wanting to keep from just being Americans. LBGT groups can be a useful resource, but often gay movements help further the stereotypes. For example, an LBGT group that helps promote AIDs awareness and research and helps with teens questioning their sexuality is an amazing thing. On the flip side, we do have LBGT groups that put on these fancy gay pride parades where gay men are half naked and dress like women. These groups actually hurt the LBGT cause more than help because give the people that are afraid of homosexuality more proof that we are not normal. And while keeping our own identity as Gay Americans is important, we must never be so foolish as to think that being just Americans is not important.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Despite incredible economic growth, it is not necessarily an investor's paradise.
- China's stock market is just 27 years old. It's economy has grown 30x over that time.
- Imagine if you had invested early and gotten in on the ground floor.
- Actually, you would have lost money. Here's how that's possible.
The controversy around the Torah codes gets a new life.
- Mathematicians claim to see a predictive pattern in the ancient Torah texts.
- The code is revealed by a method found with special computer software.
- Some events described by reading the code took place after the code was written.
- Facebook and Google began as companies with supposedly noble purposes.
- Creating a more connected world and indexing the world's information: what could be better than that?
- But pressure to return value to shareholders came at the expense of their own users.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.