Re: How do you identify yourself?
As an adult (at 49 I finally have to concede that I am an adult) my identity seems to be so tied up in the roles I play. I see myself as a teacher, a father, and a husband. But the problem I see in this is if I stop "playing" one of these roles do I suddenly no longer have an identity? When younger my identity was much more connected to my thoughts, feelings, and ideas. Although I still have hobbies and interests I no longer see my identity in those terms. I don't see myself as a "guitarist," or "martial artist," or even a "reader." Now my identity is almost entirely formed by work and home.
Firefighters in California are still struggling to contain several wildfires nearly one week after they broke out.
- Hundreds of people are still missing after three wildfires spread across Northern and Southern California last week.
- 48 of the 50 deaths occurred after the Camp Fire blazed through the town of Paradise, north of Sacramento.
- On Tuesday night, a fourth wildfire broke out, though it's mostly contained.
We know the dangers of too little sleep. Now for the other side of the story.
- Western University researchers found that sleeping over eight hours per night results in cognitive decline.
- Oversleepers suffer similar difficulties on certain cognitive tests as those who sleep under seven hours.
- Not all the news is bad: One night of oversleeping results in a cognitive boost.
Protected animals are feared to be headed for the black market.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.