Re: How do you define yourself?
When I meet someone, I'm at a loss for words. "I'm Heather," is usually all I can muster without some sort of prompting. I think people who are proud of themselves, of who they are, can say things like "I'm Annie, and I'm a columnist for the local newspaper and volunteer at Hospice on the weekends. I, on the other hand, am not very proud of myself. I define myself by my failure-- failed writer, failed artist, and perpetual job-hunter. I guess my most honest assessment of myself would be "I'm Heather, and I fail at everything except for knitting."
Still, that doesn't hold true with me either. None of what I just said. Sometimes I try overly-hard to define myself by my creative ability because of my fear of lack of self. For example, if my personality, if who I AM is just a conjunction of brain chemistry, and possibly some sort of cultural subconscious, then I'm no one really. And as plausable as that is to me sometimes, it's a very frightening proposition for my ego.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
Eight-dimensional octonions may hold the clues to solve fundamental mysteries.
- Physicists discover complex numbers called octonions that work in 8 dimensions.
- The numbers have been found linked to fundamental forces of reality.
- Understanding octonions can lead to a new model of physics.
Upload your mind? Here's a reality check on the Singularity.
- Though computer engineers claim to know what human consciousness is, many neuroscientists say that we're nowhere close to understanding what it is, or its source.
- Scientists are currently trying to upload human minds to silicon chips, or re-create consciousness with algorithms, but this may be hubristic because we still know so little about what it means to be human.
- Is transhumanism a journey forward or an escape from reality?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.