Re: How do people know when God is calling them?
Jesus said, God is a spirit and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth. God does not speak English he speaks Spiritish, i.e. He communicates to your spirit. If you want to know what God is saying you must listen with your spirit not with your nose.
We sometimes have this idea that we should be able to perceive the things of God with our senses. People will sometimes say things like, I won't believe it unless I can see it. But as far as the spiritual world is concerned that is like saying, I won't believe in the perfume of roses unless I can see it. Or, I won't believe in the taste of cinnamon unless I can touch it. You should no more expect to see the things of God with your eyes than you should expect to see the taste of chocolate with your eyes.
The same is true for hearing God. If you are trying to hear God with your physical ears you will, at the least, be very dissappointed, you must learn to hear God with your spiritual "ears."
Now, your next question should be, If I really have spiritual ears why can't I hear God? Well if you really have a physical nose why aren't you smelling roses right now? Most of us spend very little time listening for God and as a result we don't hear him very often.
Also, it is possible to hear God and not recognize His voice. Imagine you were in a large auditorium or stadium. A huge crowd is milling about and talking. Someone you don't know very well is trying to get your attention but his voice doesn't stand out from the background of all the voices around you so you don't hear him. Now imagine your mom is in that crowd and she's trying to get your attention. Don't you think you're more likely to notice your mom's voice above the roar of the crowd? Why? Because you know your mom. You've spent years hearing her. You not only recognize her voice but you know what she's likely to say in a given circumstance.
We are surrounded by a multitude of voices in life. If we are to pick out God's voice from all the noise around us we're going to need to spend some time getting to know Him. And if you want to get to know God then it would be helpful to spend time with other people who know Him better than you do. That's one way you can think of the Bible, as a book written by people who knew the voice of God better than you do. That's one way you can think of Church, as the club for people who want to learn to recognize the voice of God.
Upvote/downvote each of the videos below!
As you vote, keep in mind that we are looking for a winner with the most engaging social venture pitch - an idea you would want to invest in.
Here are 7 often-overlooked World Heritage Sites, each with its own history.
- UNESCO World Heritage Sites are locations of high value to humanity, either for their cultural, historical, or natural significance.
- Some are even designated as World Heritage Sites because humans don't go there at all, while others have felt the effects of too much human influence.
- These 7 UNESCO World Heritage Sites each represent an overlooked or at-risk facet of humanity's collective cultural heritage.
An innovation may lead to lifelike evolving machines.
- Scientists at Cornell University devise a material with 3 key traits of life.
- The goal for the researchers is not to create life but lifelike machines.
- The researchers were able to program metabolism into the material's DNA.
A new method promises to capture an elusive dark world particle.
- Scientists working on the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) devised a method for trapping dark matter particles.
- Dark matter is estimated to take up 26.8% of all matter in the Universe.
- The researchers will be able to try their approach in 2021, when the LHC goes back online.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.