Re: How do I use Big Think?
At the beginning of this How Do I Use Big Think video, Mr Wentworth should say "SOME OF the greatest minds of the planet" or "the greatest ENGLISH-speaking minds of the planet". At the end, he should also add similar qualifiers to "world's biggest thinkers". Because I haven't noticed a lot of BigThink videos in foreign languages from foreign luminaries.
I am often troubled by the tendency of Americans to use sweeping statements that make us seem like self-centered know-it-alls. There is much to be learned from other cultures!
That said, I hope BigThink expands quickly and offers truly global perspectives (subtitled in English if necessary) in the future.
New research links urban planning and political polarization.
- Canadian researchers find that excessive reliance on cars changes political views.
- Decades of car-centric urban planning normalized unsustainable lifestyles.
- People who prefer personal comfort elect politicians who represent such views.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
Science and the squishiness of the human mind. The joys of wearing whatever the hell you want, and so much more.
- Why can't we have a human-sized cat tree?
- What would happen if you got a spoonful of a neutron star?
- Why do we insist on dividing our wonderfully complex selves into boring little boxes
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.