Re: How do I use Big Think?
I can tell you right now, if in your other site features you incude the kind of dumbed-down sound effect jingles heard in "How do I use Big Think", that you'll fail to attract serious intellectuals to your site.
It is just that kind of sonic pablum which, suffusing the public sphere, in elevators, supermarkets, airports, etc, (and the private sector as well, viz., bigthink.com), actively blocks discourse of any kind. It is not figuratively an opiate, it is literally an opiate.
From the article in the New York Times I had assumed that avoiding this kind of obnoxious "entertainment" was one of the reasons you started the site. So far, I've only looked at "How do I use Big Think". I'm about to check out some other videos and features, and if I hear any more of this stuff, I'm outa here.
Beau Johnson, New York City
Upvote/downvote each of the videos below!
As you vote, keep in mind that we are looking for a winner with the most engaging social venture pitch - an idea you would want to invest in.
Here are 7 often-overlooked World Heritage Sites, each with its own history.
- UNESCO World Heritage Sites are locations of high value to humanity, either for their cultural, historical, or natural significance.
- Some are even designated as World Heritage Sites because humans don't go there at all, while others have felt the effects of too much human influence.
- These 7 UNESCO World Heritage Sites each represent an overlooked or at-risk facet of humanity's collective cultural heritage.
An innovation may lead to lifelike evolving machines.
- Scientists at Cornell University devise a material with 3 key traits of life.
- The goal for the researchers is not to create life but lifelike machines.
- The researchers were able to program metabolism into the material's DNA.
A new method promises to capture an elusive dark world particle.
- Scientists working on the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) devised a method for trapping dark matter particles.
- Dark matter is estimated to take up 26.8% of all matter in the Universe.
- The researchers will be able to try their approach in 2021, when the LHC goes back online.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.