Re: Have you had a near-death experience? How did it change you?
Congratulations on trying to stay clean. I hope that if you stumble, you will continue to try again as often as you need to.
Now, about your question.
I see what you mean about near-death. I haven't actually died and been revived or even come as close as you. But I have had instances where I thought death was imminent (once on a haywire amusement park ride and once in an emergency room where I thought I was having a heart attack). And I have held both my father and my husband in my arms when they died.
I believe that any experience can change you; it doesn't have to be near-death. But for some people, only a threat to their very existence will get their attention. And this is where I think you were. It's possible to satisfy one part of your physical self while damaging the rest. Your near-death experience awakened you to the fact that you are the sum of your parts all of the time, not just this part at this time and another part at another time. Learning that is scary and yet that "opening up" can make the world more wonderful to live in by leading the way to other discoveries. For me, this has been the great lesson of my losses.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
In his final years, Martin Luther King, Jr. become increasingly focused on the problem of poverty in America.
- Despite being widely known for his leadership role in the American civil rights movement, Martin Luther King, Jr. also played a central role in organizing the Poor People's Campaign of 1968.
- The campaign was one of the first to demand a guaranteed income for all poor families in America.
- Today, the idea of a universal basic income is increasingly popular, and King's arguments in support of the policy still make a good case some 50 years later.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
For Damien Echols, tattoos are part of his existential armor.
- In prison Damien Echols was known by his number SK931, not his name, and had his hair sheared off. Stripped of his identity, the only thing he had left was his skin.
- This is why he began tattooing things that are meaningful to him — to carry a "suit of armor" made up the images of the people and objects that have significance to him, from his friends to talismans.
- Echols believes that all places are imbued with divinity: "If you interact with New York City as if there's an intelligence behind... then it will behave towards you the same way."
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.