Re: Do we really have a representative democracy?
right. in fact, parties are the death of democracy, just as cartels attempt to control 'free' markets.
america is not a democracy, and representative democracy is newspeak. a better label would be elective oligarchy.
america needs citizen initiative at the federal level, similar to that used in california and a few other states. with this tool, the electorate can bring the politicians under control. getting citizen initiative is the first necessary step, and it will be difficult. mike gravel, with his 'initiative for democracy' site seems to be on the right track. he also seems to be largely ignored, not only by the cow-people, but also by the dis-satisfied would-be activists. the constitution can be changed, has been changed, needs to change, but almost no one else talks about changing it.
so i conclude that one of the pre-conditions of productive action is missing: american culture has become 'traditional', anti-intellectual, and simply can not change itself.
change will happen, in response to the stresses in society, but it will be passive, even if violent. fascism is a better bet than democracy.
Giving our solar system a "slap in the face"
- A stream of galactic debris is hurtling at us, pulling dark matter along with it
- It's traveling so quickly it's been described as a hurricane of dark matter
- Scientists are excited to set their particle detectors at the onslffaught
The climate change we're witnessing is more dramatic than we might think.
A lazy buzz phrase – 'Is this the new normal?' – has been doing the rounds as extreme climate events have been piling up over the past year. To which the riposte should be: it's worse than that – we're on the road to even more frequent, more extreme events than we saw this year.
Once again, our circadian rhythm points the way.
- Seven individuals were locked inside a windowless, internetless room for 37 days.
- While at rest, they burned 130 more calories at 5 p.m. than at 5 a.m.
- Morning time again shown not to be the best time to eat.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.