Re: Do we really have a representative democracy?
right. in fact, parties are the death of democracy, just as cartels attempt to control 'free' markets.
america is not a democracy, and representative democracy is newspeak. a better label would be elective oligarchy.
america needs citizen initiative at the federal level, similar to that used in california and a few other states. with this tool, the electorate can bring the politicians under control. getting citizen initiative is the first necessary step, and it will be difficult. mike gravel, with his 'initiative for democracy' site seems to be on the right track. he also seems to be largely ignored, not only by the cow-people, but also by the dis-satisfied would-be activists. the constitution can be changed, has been changed, needs to change, but almost no one else talks about changing it.
so i conclude that one of the pre-conditions of productive action is missing: american culture has become 'traditional', anti-intellectual, and simply can not change itself.
change will happen, in response to the stresses in society, but it will be passive, even if violent. fascism is a better bet than democracy.
Upvote/downvote each of the videos below!
As you vote, keep in mind that we are looking for a winner with the most engaging social venture pitch - an idea you would want to invest in.
Earth features about 30 of the biggest names in entertainment.
- Lil Dicky is a rapper and comedian who released his debut album in 2015.
- His new music video, Earth, features artists such as Justin Bieber, Ariana Grande, Ed Sheehan, Kevin Hart, and Leonardo DiCaprio.
- All proceeds of the music video will go to environmental causes, Dicky said.
Some evidence attributes a certain neurological phenomenon to a near death experience.
Time of death is considered when a person has gone into cardiac arrest. This is the cessation of the electrical impulse that drive the heartbeat. As a result, the heart locks up. The moment the heart stops is considered time of death. But does death overtake our mind immediately afterward or does it slowly creep in?
- A forensic artist in Scotland has made a hyper realistic model of an ancient dog.
- It was based on the skull of a dog dug up in Orkney, Scotland, which lived and died 4,000 years ago.
- The model gives us a glimpse of some of the first dogs humans befriended.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.