Re: Do we need a
Yes, absolutely. The free market is a beautiful thing but it can't solve all our problems - just look at the state of health care in the US.
I'd love to see the next US president start a "green WPA" or "green Manhattan project." What would be even better is a 21st century version of the race to the moon. The global economy's greatest powers should be competing with one another to see who can create the cheapest, most viable form of renewable energy.
I'd like to think we could end global warming because it's the right thing to do, but there are too many people getting rich off of maintaining the status quo - not just oil and car companies, but also countries whose economies are based on selling fossil fuels.
I am not a fan of Hillary Clinton's but I am intrigued by her line about the US borrowing money from China to buy oil from the Arabs. Greed and xenophobia might be hotter hot buttons than altruism.
(By the way, "water" is the next "oil.")
A federal judge ruled that the Trump administration likely violated the reporter's Fifth Amendment rights when it stripped his press credentials earlier this month.
- Acosta will be allowed to return to the White House on Friday.
- The judge described the ruling as narrow, and didn't rule one way or the other on violations of the First Amendment.
- The case is still open, and the administration may choose to appeal the ruling.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
The definition of a kilogram will now be fixed to Planck's constant, a fundamental part of quantum physics.
- The new definition of a kilogram is based on a physical constant in quantum physics.
- Unlike the current definition of a kilogram, this measurement will never change.
- Scientists also voted to update the definitions of several other measurements in physics.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.