Re: chritianity has fucked up
At it's core Christianity has some pretty radical and cool ideas.
Love your neighbor as yourself.
Defy authority in a non-violent way. The most powerful symbol of Christianity, the Cross, is a twist on symobl of the execution of Jesus. The Romans intended to "teach them a lesson" instead, largely through non-violent sacrifice, the message of Jesus spread throughout the ancient world until it became the dominant religion.
Care for the poor, heal the sick. These are base ideas of the Christian ideology.
So, no, I don't agree. Far more evil has been done in the name of profit at the expense of people. The primary source of evil in the world is the dehumanizing of others. This would appear to be a natural human, tribal instinct. You can find people of all colors and ideologies doing this. Hutus and Tutsis, Chinese and Tibetans, Germans and Jews.
You don't need to believe in a magic being to believe in the supremacy of your tribe, or feel that you should make a violent sacrifice to sustain and promote something bigger than one individual. The family honor, the triumph of the Fatherland, whatever, there are plenty of alternatives to justify killing. The Buddhist Japanese managed to rape Nanking without Christianity.
- The EAST reactor was able to heat hydrogen to temperatures exceeding 100 million degrees Celsius.
- Nuclear fusion could someday provide the planet with a virtually limitless supply of clean energy.
- During the Vietnam War, Robert McNamara began a program called Project 100,000.
- Women and nonwhite candidates made record gains in the 2018 midterms.
- In total, almost half of the newly elected Congressional representatives are not white men.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.