Re: Can you write with a foreign accent ?
Could not agree more. The imperfection of such writing makes it quite exceptional and should be considered as part of the writer´s style. Correcting him or her results in deleting an important feature. In Germany they dub all films in order to improve their accessibility to the people. And then despite watching thousands of foreign TV and cinema productions, most Germans would never know the real voice of Sean Connery, Alan Bates or Betty Davis. Correcting foreigners writing in English amounts to the same. It makes the writing perhaps a bit more accessible and less "jarring" but is it still real?
The surprising results come from a new GLAAD survey.
- The survey found that 18- to 34-year-old non-LGBTQ Americans reported feeling less comfortable around LGBTQ people in a variety of hypothetical situations.
- The attitudes of older non-LGBTQ Americans have remained basically constant over the past few years.
- Overall, about 80 percent of Americans support equal rights for LGBTQ people.
Controversial map names CEOs of 100 companies producing 71 percent of the world's greenhouse gas emissions.
- Just 100 companies produce 71 percent of the world's greenhouse gases.
- This map lists their names and locations, and their CEOs.
- The climate crisis may be too complex for these 100 people to solve, but naming and shaming them is a good start.
The more we learn about the microbiome, the more the pieces are fitting together.
- A new study from the University of Central Florida makes the case for the emerging connection of autism and the human microbiome.
- High levels of Propionic Acid (PPA), used in processed foods to extend shelf life, reduces neuronal development in fetal brains.
- While more research is needed, this is another step in fully understanding the consequences of poor nutrition.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.