Re: Beauty versus Morality
At the extremes of moral situations, such as the liberation of civilian death camps in wartime, or ones in which morality has little moment, such as the selection of lavender or mauve for the molding above a fireplace, a choice between whether to prefer the gorgeous or the right is unimportant. However, less quotidian, more matters, such as the selection of a mate (or a date) demands addressing both -- good potential parent or hot, hot loins? Also, metaphysical consideration of the broadest situation, our essential standing in the universe, involves worrying whether, say, the world we know is essentially evil and unassailable by our indignance and, therefore, only useful as an object of our manipulations as artists, comics, wits. How do you look at this and do looks matter more than hearts and smarts?
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A new study from Oregon State University makes it clear: it's you.
- Researchers discovered that the more attention you give a cat, the more likely they are to return it.
- Cats are territorial; being in their home environment greatly affects their attitude.
- The common wisdom that cats are aloof is provably false.
10 of the most sandbagging, red-herring, and effective logical fallacies.
- Many an otherwise-worthwhile argument has been derailed by logical fallacies.
- Sometimes these fallacies are deliberate tricks, and sometimes just bad reasoning.
- Avoiding these traps makes disgreeing so much better.
- Facebook and Google began as companies with supposedly noble purposes.
- Creating a more connected world and indexing the world's information: what could be better than that?
- But pressure to return value to shareholders came at the expense of their own users.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.