Re: Assimilation or multi-culturalism: What should be expected of immigrants?
What do we mean by assimilation, multicultural, immigrant? What does it mean to say I have assimilated vs I am multicultural? Who is an immigrant, & to which constantly evolving geographic, generational, religious, economic & artistic subcultures is she supposedly assimilating? How does multiculturation happen, & does it ever end? Who decides "what should be expected" & when the expectations have been met? ...I’m Latina, but I don’t just live in a community or in a country, I live in a world. So here’s my idea: If Big Think is to be global, we'll all be immigrants, crossing boundaries of thought into otherness, picking up each idea, feeling its texture, trying it out, maybe weaving a bit of it into our selves. This is how it feels to be, to become, multicultural: one idea, one experience, at a time; thoughtful, expressive, liberating, alert to possibility. And as this tapestry grows rich, nuanced & inclusive, we just might step beyond the multicultural & into a shared global identity.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
Eight-dimensional octonions may hold the clues to solve fundamental mysteries.
- Physicists discover complex numbers called octonions that work in 8 dimensions.
- The numbers have been found linked to fundamental forces of reality.
- Understanding octonions can lead to a new model of physics.
Upload your mind? Here's a reality check on the Singularity.
- Though computer engineers claim to know what human consciousness is, many neuroscientists say that we're nowhere close to understanding what it is, or its source.
- Scientists are currently trying to upload human minds to silicon chips, or re-create consciousness with algorithms, but this may be hubristic because we still know so little about what it means to be human.
- Is transhumanism a journey forward or an escape from reality?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.