Re: Assimilation or multi-culturalism: What should be expected of immigrants?
The success of our society will be defined by how well we balance the two. Celebrate that which makes you who you are today and understand what defines others. We must embrace the commonalities and respect the differences. Having a single "national" language for the sake of equal secular education and information is the best way to avoid a schism which otherwise would seem unavoidable. We must have effective education nationwide. Consistency and time can create an "orient" culture that defines us as a nation without abandonment of our past. Respecting these Sub-Cultures should in and of itself be a key element of that orient.
- Patients from low-income neighborhoods are most at risk of negative health impacts.
An innovation may lead to lifelike self-reproducing and evolving machines.
- Scientists at Cornell University devise a material that has 3 key traits of life.
- The goal for the researchers is not to create life but lifelike machines.
- The researchers were able to program metabolism into the material's DNA.
Some evidence attributes a certain neurological phenomenon to a near death experience.
- But increased longevity is a cause for celebration, says Ashton Applewhite, not doom and gloom.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.