Re: Assimilation or multi-culturalism: What should be expected of immigrants?
The success of our society will be defined by how well we balance the two. Celebrate that which makes you who you are today and understand what defines others. We must embrace the commonalities and respect the differences. Having a single "national" language for the sake of equal secular education and information is the best way to avoid a schism which otherwise would seem unavoidable. We must have effective education nationwide. Consistency and time can create an "orient" culture that defines us as a nation without abandonment of our past. Respecting these Sub-Cultures should in and of itself be a key element of that orient.
Giving our solar system a "slap in the face"
- A stream of galactic debris is hurtling at us, pulling dark matter along with it
- It's traveling so quickly it's been described as a hurricane of dark matter
- Scientists are excited to set their particle detectors at the onslffaught
The climate change we're witnessing is more dramatic than we might think.
Once again, our circadian rhythm points the way.
- Seven individuals were locked inside a windowless, internetless room for 37 days.
- While at rest, they burned 130 more calories at 5 p.m. than at 5 a.m.
- Morning time again shown not to be the best time to eat.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.