Re: Are two parties enough?
[continued from previous post] This has led to crippled representation of the districts that have elected a minority party candidate. The party that controls the legislature can (and has), through manipulating the committee system, silence the voices of millions of Americans. This not democracy at its best.
Thankfully, our judicial branch has, so far, repelled any major politicalization, but not without a struggle. We have our voting system partially to blame for the situation we find ourselves in. The antiquated "up or down" method of picking one candidate has been shown, historically, to lead to a two-party system. At present, you can only pick one candidate, so people are hesitant to "throw away" their vote on a third-party. Other nations with more modern voting systems, allowing voters to rank candidates in order of preference, have a tendency to have more political parties, more choice, more debate, more public engagement, more comprise, and more results. [continued in next post]
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
How you talk to people with drug addiction might save their life.
- Addiction is a learning disorder; it's not a sign that someone is a bad person.
- Tough love doesn't help drug-addicted people. Research shows that the best way to get people help is through compassion, empathy and support. Approach them as an equal human being deserving of respect.
- As a first step to recovery, Maia Szalavitz recommends the family or friends of people with addiction get them a complete psychiatric evaluation by somebody who is not affiliated with any treatment organization. Unfortunately, warns Szalavitz, some people will try to make a profit off of an addicted person without informing them of their full options.
Groundbreaking neuroscience confirms what Sigmund Freud first theorized.
China's Chang'e 4 biosphere experiment marks a first for humankind.
- China's Chang'e 4 lunar lander touched down on the far side of the moon on January 3.
- In addition to a lunar rover, the lander carried a biosphere experiment that contains five sets of plants and some insects.
- The experiment is designed to test how astronauts might someday grow plants in space to sustain long-term settlements.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.