Re: Are CEO's salaries bloated?
Everyone deserves a fair price for their work,
As a matter of 'game theory' if a person has to work to eat and survive, but business only has to hire if it determines it can sufficiently profit by adding employees, it is an 'unfair game' biased against workers, and we should expect real wages to stagnate over time.
And this is exactly what we observe.
but should there be caps on CEO salaries?
The corporate structure is part of the general institutional structure, which is producing the seemingly higher than necessary CEO salaries. Simple caps would have other consequences.
More fundamental changes to the institutional structure are needed to put incentives in place for alternative distributions of incomes.
Is it fair to lay off workers when your own salary is worth tens of millions of dollars.
At the macro level, with sufficient aggregate demand to ensure full employment, efficiency increases total output. Therefore, layoffs without production cuts potentially benefit the entire population.
However to get that outcome, the current institutional structure has to be adjusted to include the necessary incentives.
Or, does the market require high salaries to retain the highest quality leaders and the lifestyle they must lead in their high risk jobs?
No. The reason for the high CEO salaries is a function of the corporate structure that includes the legal arrangements between shareholders, board of directors, and management. It is the resulting interaction that will continue to push up CEO salaries.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
How you talk to people with drug addiction might save their life.
- Addiction is a learning disorder; it's not a sign that someone is a bad person.
- Tough love doesn't help drug-addicted people. Research shows that the best way to get people help is through compassion, empathy and support. Approach them as an equal human being deserving of respect.
- As a first step to recovery, Maia Szalavitz recommends the family or friends of people with addiction get them a complete psychiatric evaluation by somebody who is not affiliated with any treatment organization. Unfortunately, warns Szalavitz, some people will try to make a profit off of an addicted person without informing them of their full options.
The rise of anti-scientific thinking and conspiracy is a concerning trend.
- Fifty years later after one of the greatest achievements of mankind, there's a growing number of moon landing deniers. They are part of a larger trend of anti-scientific thinking.
- Climate change, anti-vaccination and other assorted conspiratorial mindsets are a detriment and show a tangible impediment to fostering real progress or societal change.
- All of these separate anti-scientific beliefs share a troubling root of intellectual dishonesty and ignorance.
China's Chang'e 4 biosphere experiment marks a first for humankind.
- China's Chang'e 4 lunar lander touched down on the far side of the moon on January 3.
- In addition to a lunar rover, the lander carried a biosphere experiment that contains five sets of plants and some insects.
- The experiment is designed to test how astronauts might someday grow plants in space to sustain long-term settlements.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.