What is the 'pure carnivore diet'?
It's all the rage right now after the Paleo and keto diet sensations took the world by storm. But is it healthy?
- The meat-only diet is being promoted a lot by people with right-wing political biases.
- Until the science is studied and proven, caution is the best approach.
- Balance, balance, balance. Have I mentioned balance?
New on the diet "scene" is one called the 'pure protein diet,' the carnivore diet, and the zero-carb diet. It's basically meat protein only — ignore the vegetables, fruits, and anything else that is not meat.
"Would you like a little spite with your steak, sir?"
One ribeye steak, plain, coming right up.
It's popular, especially among — interestingly enough — conspiracy theorists, Bitcoin fans, and those seeking to anger liberals.
You read that right.
Because industrial meat production is very much anti-environmental in nature, some conservatives who wish to dine on a ribeye steak only are choosing to do so precisely because politically progressive folks might not like that. It's also kind of an extreme response, such as purchasing extra guns and joining gun clubs en masse when gun control measures are being discussed, or taking photographs of straws after they're banned in restaurants.
In effect, it's "Eff you, libs!" on steroids. (And speaking of steroids ... there's a claim by some fans of the diet that it boosts libido and testosterone levels. Take that, wimpy libs! However, heavy meat consumption is also associated with reduced sperm count... womp womp.)
And as for the other fans, including conspiracy theorists and Bitcoin fans... read on.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't messing with you.
"Bitcoin is a revolt against fiat [a.k.a. government-backed] money, and an all-meat diet is a revolt against fiat food," said Michael Goldstein, a self-described "Bitcoin and meat maximalist" in Austin, Texas. "Once someone has grown capable of seeing beyond the lies and myths that experts peddle in one domain, it becomes easier to see beyond them in other domains as well."
Just gonna leave that right there ...
So... given, this is a little odd at first glance, what about its benefits? Harms?Giphy
Those who are promoting the idea claim a reduction in arthritis and depression symptoms. Shawn Baker, formerly an orthopedic surgeon who had his license to practice medicine revoked, claims that lifelong diseases can be reversed with this diet. It's important to note, however, that none of these claims have been proven or even studied scientifically.
Indeed, Christopher Gardner, a professor of medicine at Stanford University, is not convinced this is the right track at all. "Are these T-rex? African lions? Or humans? Assuming [it's for] humans, this sounds disastrous on multiple levels," he told The Guardian. "I think a 'carnivore diet' is inappropriate for human health, bad for the health of our planet, abusive of the human labor force that handles the preparation of meat, abusive of animal rights and welfare."
Easy there, Meat-itarian!
There are a host of nutrients that cannot be absorbed by only eating meat, and likewise, a host of diseases that one can come down with if missing key nutrients and vitamins — scurvy is just one example — and there's still a well-known connection between animal fats and heart disease.
All this said, being careful would be the best idea here.
Pfizer's partnerships strengthen their ability to deliver vaccines in developing countries.
- Community healthcare workers face many challenges in their work, including often traveling far distances to see their clients
- Pfizer is helping to drive the UN's sustainable development goals through partnerships.
- Pfizer partnered with AMP and the World Health Organization to develop a training program for healthcare workers.
Orangutans join humans and bees in a very exclusive club
- Orangutan mothers wait to sound a danger alarm to avoid tipping off predators to their location
- It took a couple of researchers crawling around the Sumatran jungle to discover the phenomenon
- This ability may come from a common ancestor
The definition of a kilogram will now be fixed to Planck's constant, a fundamental part of quantum physics.
- The new definition of a kilogram is based on a physical constant in quantum physics.
- Unlike the current definition of a kilogram, this measurement will never change.
- Scientists also voted to update the definitions of several other measurements in physics.
Journaling can help you materialize your ambitions.
- Organizing your thoughts can help you plan and achieve goals that might otherwise seen unobtainable.
- One way to view your journal might be less of a narrative and more of a timeline of decisions.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.