Privatize large public universities such as SUNY
Large public universities in the east have not kept pace with their peers in the mid-west and west. Gov. Rockefeller envisioned a system to rival or exceed that of California, but it fell short for many reasons, not the least of which were state and university administrator's politics and plain lack of courage. Today Gov. Spitzer is considering creating an endowment for SUNY to help.
However, much more effective would be the radical move of privatizing at least the four research centers, via a form of LBO. The move would place them on a playing field similar to that of, say, Cornell, and would vastly reduce both the cost to NY State and the bureaucratic controls which plague the university system.
Of course there are a multitude of challenging issues. Of course there will be great resistance from those fearful of loss of control or position. But the process can be rejuvenating and the result could greatly benefit all parties: students, faculty, and taxpayers.
- The meaning of the word 'confidence' seems obvious. But it's not the same as self-esteem.
- Confidence isn't just a feeling on your inside. It comes from taking action in the world.
- Join Big Think Edge today and learn how to achieve more confidence when and where it really matters.
- Prejudice is typically perpetrated against 'the other', i.e. a group outside our own.
- But ageism is prejudice against ourselves — at least, the people we will (hopefully!) become.
- Different generations needs to cooperate now more than ever to solve global problems.
The controversial herbicide is everywhere, apparently.
- U.S. PIRG tested 20 beers and wines, including organics, and found Roundup's active ingredient in almost all of them.
- A jury on August 2018 awarded a non-Hodgkin's lymphoma victim $289 million in Roundup damages.
- Bayer/Monsanto says Roundup is totally safe. Others disagree.
The team caught a glimpse of a process that takes 18,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years.
- In Italy, a team of scientists is using a highly sophisticated detector to hunt for dark matter.
- The team observed an ultra-rare particle interaction that reveals the half-life of a xenon-124 atom to be 18 sextillion years.
- The half-life of a process is how long it takes for half of the radioactive nuclei present in a sample to decay.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.