President-to-be Obama's Economic Plan
I hope President-to-be Obama realizes --
(a) Congress has the Constitutional right to simply create the money needed for his plan.
(b) The plan should focus on programs that will create real wealth -- and
(c) The government should immediately switch to double-entry bookkeeping which will mean expenditures on wealth-producing assets need not be expensed immediately -- they can be expensed in accordance with a dedicated depreciation schedule. All sensible businesses use double-entry bookkeeping and depreciation schedules. Without proper accounting, the business managers would never know the financial status of the enterprise.
(d) I suggest we start with a comprehensive natonwide water reclamation program which will include nuclear desalination plants along both coasts, and an interstate network of pipes to bring the water where it is needed. The pipes could be under, over and next-to our highways and byways.
(e) A well run program could easily pay for itself many times over by the prodcution and sale of food.
What can 3D printing do for medicine? The "sky is the limit," says Northwell Health researcher Dr. Todd Goldstein.
- Medical professionals are currently using 3D printers to create prosthetics and patient-specific organ models that doctors can use to prepare for surgery.
- Eventually, scientists hope to print patient-specific organs that can be transplanted safely into the human body.
- Northwell Health, New York State's largest health care provider, is pioneering 3D printing in medicine in three key ways.
- In some fundamental ways, humans haven't changed all that much since the days when we were sitting around communal fires, telling tales.
- Although we don't always recognize them as such, stories, symbols, and rituals still have tremendous, primal power to move us and shape our lives.
- This is no less true in the workplace than it is in our personal lives.
One of Stephen Hawking's predictions seems to have been borne out in a man-made "black hole".
- Stephen Hawking predicted virtual particles splitting in two from the gravitational pull of black holes.
- Black holes, he also said, would eventually evaporate due to the absorption of negatively charged virtual particles.
- A scientist has built a black hole analogue based on sound instead of light.
- The word "creative" is sometimes waved around like a badge of honor. We speak of creativity in hushed tones, as the special province of the "talented". In reality, the creative process is messy, open, and vulnerable.
- For this reason, creativity is often at its best in a group setting like brainstorming. But in order to work, the group creative process needs to be led by someone who understands it.
- This sense of deep trust—that no idea is too silly, that every creative impulse is worth voicing and considering—is essential to producing great work.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.