Retail apocalypse continues as Sears files for bankruptcy
142 more stores to close, but that might be just the tip of the proverbial iceberg.
- Sears to close 142 stores immediately amid bankruptcy filing.
- Dozens of Kmart stores — owned by Sears since 2004 — already scheduled for closing in November.
- Will it affect a store near you?
Sears announced on Monday that it's in bankruptcy proceedings, along with the immediate closure of 142 stores nation-wide. With the news comes the stepping down of Sears CEO Edward Lampert, who had held the position since 2013.
With this, the phenomenon of national and international retail stores closing doesn't seem to be slowing down.
Those pants, tho ...
With the fresh closures of Sears and Kmart stores, it's now down to less than 700 retail locations—1/3 of the stores it operated in 2013.
Humble beginnings ...
Sears, Roebuck, and Co. catalog, 1909
The company, started in 1886 by Richard W. Sears, a Minnesota railway agent who wanted to get into the watch business, was soon to be co-owned by business partner Alvah Roebuck.
By 1895, the company named was officially "Sears, Roebuck, and Co." and the mail-order book, or catalog, had grown to 532 pages of much more than watches.
Interestingly, given the takeover of many thing that used to be retail by Amazon and online ordering, Sears identified a market early-on of farmers, who would soon buy their supplies and equipment from rural general stores, at a discount. For a number of years, it self-identified in its catalogs as the "Cheapest Supply House on Earth."
Interactive map by:
It remains to be seen whether the company can survive much longer.
For a list of stores closing, there's an interactive map at the bottom of the article here.
With the closures of Sears and Kmart stores, it's now down to less than 700 —1/3 of the stores it operated in 2013 — less than 700.
Also, here's an emerging point of view on what's happening behind the scenes in this situation:
(If that doesn't work, the Tweet is here: https://twitter.com/ddayen/status/1051702252774207488)
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
Thinking your life is worthwhile is correlated with a variety of positive outcomes.
- A new study finds that adults who feel their lives are meaningful have better health and life outcomes.
- Adults who felt their lives were worthwhile tended to be more social and had healthier habits.
- The findings could be used to help improve the health of older adults.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.