Map of political book sales shows a polarized nation
The states with golden stars on them are extra intriguing.
- Barnes & Noble reported a 57% increase in political book sales compared to 2017.
- The top three best-selling political books of 2018 have been mostly critical of President Donald Trump, though each state varies in which political books it buys most.
- Despite the boost in sales, Barnes & Noble could put itself up for sale in the near future.
Americans are buying more political books in 2018 than in recent years, though which books they're picking up seems to depend largely on the political persuasion of their state.
Barnes & Noble recently released data to CNBC showing a 57-percent spike in political book sales compared to 2017, as well as a map that shows how the political book sales of each state are strongly correlated with how that state voted in the 2016 presidential election. In other words, red states buy more books favorable of President Donald Trump, while blue states seem more interested in books critical of Trump—although there are five outliers. Book sales in New Hampshire, Wisconsin, Nevada, Colorado and Pennsylvania contradicted how they voted in 2016. It's unclear why.
Source: Barnes & Noble
The top three bestselling books for the company were all mostly critical of Trump. At the top, by far, was Washington Post reporter Bob Woodward's Fear: Trump in the White House, which sold more than one copy per second (upward of 750,000 copies) on its release day, Barnes & Noble said. Trump called this book, which included many incendiary interviews with high-level officials, a "work of fiction" shortly after its release.
Coming in second was Michael Wolff's Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House, and third was James Comey's A Higher Loyalty: Truth, Lies, and Leadership.
Gregg Jarrett's The Russia Hoax: The Illicit Scheme to Clear Hillary Clinton and Frame Donald Trump, which, needless to say, painted Trump in a favorable light, came in at number four on the list. John McCain's book, The Restless Wave: Good Times, Just Causes, Great Fights, and Other Appreciations, also made the top 10 list, but was not focused on the president.
Despite the boost in sales, Barnes & Noble executives have been considering selling the company, which is the nation's largest brick-and-mortar bookstore, for more than a year. Last week, the company announced it was naming a special committee to review bids of prospective purchasers, CNBC reports.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
Thinking your life is worthwhile is correlated with a variety of positive outcomes.
- A new study finds that adults who feel their lives are meaningful have better health and life outcomes.
- Adults who felt their lives were worthwhile tended to be more social and had healthier habits.
- The findings could be used to help improve the health of older adults.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.