Are Democrats Hoping Palin Runs?
Buzz has been building about the possibility of that Sarah Palin will run for President after all. Palin announced on Thursday that she will launch a bus tour of key primary states this weekend. She made the announcement after telling Greta van Susteren that she has “that fire in my belly” to defeat Obama in 2012. She also has a documentary about her—which she solicited a conservative filmmaker to make—premiering in Iowa in June.
With her nearly universal name recognition and devout following, Palin would be an early favorite to win the Republican nomination if she does decide to run. As Nate Silver says, now that former Arkansas Governor—and her fellow Fox News contributor—Mike Huckabee has decided not to run, Palin should have less competition for evangelical Christians and social conservatives. Of course, Palin doesn’t seem to be laying the groundwork for a national political operation they way most of serious candidates do. She may simply be flirting with a presidential run as a way of staying in the public eye. But it may be, as Karl Rove told Van Susteren, that Palin simply doesn’t think the ordinary rules apply to someone of her celebrity.
Democrats seem to be hoping Palin does run. With Palin’s high unfavorable ratings among moderates, President Obama would be a heavy favorite to defeat her in the general election. Democrats would certainly enjoy the spectacle of Sarah Palin and Tea Party leader Michele Bachmann running against each other. And, as Perry Bacon Jr. argues, Palin’s presence in the race might force more moderate Republicans like Mitt Romney and Tim Pawlenty to take extreme positions that will end up alienating the independent voters they will need to win the general election. At the same time a Palin candidacy could help fire up a Democratic base determined to keep her from winning the election.
Pfizer's partnerships strengthen their ability to deliver vaccines in developing countries.
- Community healthcare workers face many challenges in their work, including often traveling far distances to see their clients
- Pfizer is helping to drive the UN's sustainable development goals through partnerships.
- Pfizer partnered with AMP and the World Health Organization to develop a training program for healthcare workers.
Orangutans join humans and bees in a very exclusive club
- Orangutan mothers wait to sound a danger alarm to avoid tipping off predators to their location
- It took a couple of researchers crawling around the Sumatran jungle to discover the phenomenon
- This ability may come from a common ancestor
The definition of a kilogram will now be fixed to Planck's constant, a fundamental part of quantum physics.
- The new definition of a kilogram is based on a physical constant in quantum physics.
- Unlike the current definition of a kilogram, this measurement will never change.
- Scientists also voted to update the definitions of several other measurements in physics.
Journaling can help you materialize your ambitions.
- Organizing your thoughts can help you plan and achieve goals that might otherwise seen unobtainable.
- The Bullet Journal method, in particular, can reduce clutter in your life by helping you visualize your future.
- One way to view your journal might be less of a narrative and more of a timeline of decisions.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.