this is an idea which i have seen attempted solutions for everywhere. i am doing my A-level physics coursework on it. most theories seem to depend on magnets or unbalanced torque in both circles and triangles. obviously conventionally this is not possible, however any ideas on the topic would be appreciated. i completely understand why in triangles and circles you cannot have unbalanced torque of you are rotating the object or something around it, but what if you had a triangle with an extended side so that a chain of balls of the same mass going around the triangle would be biased one side of the triangle as the 'weight would be uneven which is impossible in a normal triangle. that way there would be biased torque but im not sure if this would work still, as im not sure if the extention on one side would set the masses at the underneath of the triangle in an imbalance that would counter the bias and therefore create equilibrium once again. please send information you may have. i am not really trying to solve the problem, just explain why many ideas dont work and look into the subject explaining methods which have been attempted.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
Eight-dimensional octonions may hold the clues to solve fundamental mysteries.
- Physicists discover complex numbers called octonions that work in 8 dimensions.
- The numbers have been found linked to fundamental forces of reality.
- Understanding octonions can lead to a new model of physics.
Upload your mind? Here's a reality check on the Singularity.
- Though computer engineers claim to know what human consciousness is, many neuroscientists say that we're nowhere close to understanding what it is, or its source.
- Scientists are currently trying to upload human minds to silicon chips, or re-create consciousness with algorithms, but this may be hubristic because we still know so little about what it means to be human.
- Is transhumanism a journey forward or an escape from reality?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.