Following sex, some men have unexpected feelings – study
A new study shows that some men's reaction to sex is not what you'd expect, resulting in a condition previously observed in women.
- A new study shows men's feelings after sex can be complex.
- Some men reportedly get sad and upset.
- The condition affected 41% of men in the study
Our culture tends not to trouble itself with how men feel after sex—it's presumed that as the ultimate goal of much of male energy and desire, sex can only lead to feelings of pleasure. But a first-of-its-kind study found that men can get sad after sex, exhibiting a condition called "post-coital dysphoria" (PCD) that has previously been observed in women.
PCD is characterized by feelings of sadness, tearfulness or irritability following sex.
The study, authored by the masters student Joel Maczkowiack and Professor Robert D. Schweitzer from Queensland University of Technology (QUT) in Brisbane, Australia, analyzed the data from an international survey of mostly heterosexual 1,208 men from the United States, the U.K., Australia, New Zealand, Germany, Russia, and other countries.
What they concluded is that 41% of the participants experienced PCD in their lifetime. 20% reported it happened to them in the preceding four weeks. 4% said they suffered from it regularly.
Maczkowiack said that the feelings reported by the survey's subjects varied from "I don't want to be touched and want to be left alone" to "I feel unsatisfied, annoyed and very fidgety. All I really want is to leave and distract myself from everything I participated in."
Some talked about feeling "emotionless and empty".
Professor Schweitzer thinks the results of the study show that how men view sex is much more complex and varied than assumed previously.
"It is commonly believed that males and females experience a range of positive emotions including contentment and relaxation immediately following consensual sexual activity," said Schweitzer. "Yet previous studies on the PCD experience of females showed that a similar proportion of females had experienced PCD on a regular basis. As with the men in this new study, it is not well understood. We would speculate that the reasons are multifactorial, including both biological and psychological factors."
Not only do men experience PCD, this condition can interfere with the interactions of the couple following sex. Maczkowiack stressed that the postcoital stage—"the resolution"—is very important for building the intimacy of the couple. Those that "engage in talking, kissing, and cuddling following sexual activity report greater sexual and relationship satisfaction," he added.
What is the cause of PCD? Scientists don't yet know but theorize it may have to do with the "dopamine rebound effect" when dopamine levels are lower after the sexual rush.
You can check out the new study in the Journal of Sex and Marital Therapy.
Esther Perel on the Nature of Erotic Desire
What makes a life worth living as you grow older?
- Dr. Ezekiel Emanuel revisits his essay on wanting to die at 75 years old.
- The doctor believes that an old life filled with disability and lessened activity isn't worth living.
- Activists believe his argument stinks of ageism, while advances in biohacking could render his point moot.
The Amazon Rainforest is often called "The Planet's Lungs."
- For weeks, fires have been burning in the Amazon rainforest in Brazil, likely started by farmers and ranchers.
- Brazil's president, Jair Bolsonaro, has blamed NGOs for starting the flames, offering no evidence to support the claim.
- There are small steps you can take to help curb deforestation in the Amazon rainforest, which produces about 20 percent of the world's oxygen.
The world's largest retailer has evolved "like a flea market," according to a new report from The Wall Street Journal.
- The report found more than 4,000 listings for products deemed to be unsafe, banned or mislabelled.
- These products included mislabelled pain relievers, dangerous children's toys, and helmets that had failed federal safety tests.
- There are some steps you can take to avoid buying unsafe or counterfeit products from Amazon.