One plus One equals Change
Character in Leadership..
I once heard it said that knowledge matched with zeal will create maximum impact. Zeal is passion for a purpose. It is a passionate pursuit of a desired goal. In leadership this is the enthusiasm that ignites your followers; the driving force of them following. Though essential, a leader must not be satiated with enthusiasm and charisma. Even when the communicated goal is clear, when the team is rallied, a lack of knowledge produces a meager return. Knowledge produces depth of meaning in your mission. It programs and is highly practical at times. If zeal gets you a following, knowledge unleashes them with the ability to achieve. These characteristics connected in leadership will create a cause for change.
So I ask you, in which category are you wanting. What does maximum impact look like for you in leadership? Do you need a shot to the heart or to hit the books?
The way that you think about stress can actually transform the effect that it has on you – and others.
- Stress is contagious, and the higher up in an organization you are the more your stress will be noticed and felt by others.
- Kelly McGonigal teaches "Reset your mindset to reduce stress" for Big Think Edge.
- Subscribe to Big Think Edge before we launch on March 30 to get 20% off monthly and annual memberships.
Three scientists publish paper proving that not Venus but Mercury is the closest planet to Earth
- Earth is the third planet from the Sun, so our closest neighbour must be planet two of four, right?
- Wrong! Neither Venus nor Mars is the right answer.
- Three scientists ran the numbers. In this YouTube video, one of them explains why our nearest neighbour is... Mercury!
The blood of horseshoe crabs is harvested on a massive scale in order to retrieve a cell critical to medical research. However, recent innovations might make this practice obsolete.
- Horseshoe crabs' blue blood is so valuable that a quart of it can be sold for $15,000.
- This is because it contains a molecule that is crucial to the medical research community.
- Today, however, new innovations have resulted in a synthetic substitute that may end the practice of farming horseshoe crabs for their blood.
The distance between the American dream and reality is expressed best through literature.
- Literature expands our ability to feel empathy and inspires compassion.
- These ten novels tackle some facet of the American experience.
- The list includes a fictional retelling of the first Native American to graduate from Harvard and hiding out in inner city Newark.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.