The ways in which we are searching for meaning in our lives is creating divergence between societies and cultures.
The existence of both economics and sociology is unfortunate as both disciplines merely serve to understand and rectify the problems that have arisen as a result of our misguided and ill-informed quest for meaning. We need to move beyond the problems we have created ourselves, and turn our attention towards the very nature, or essence, or our humble existence. We do not need to waste time debating the intended meaning of others’ ‘literary’ works, ideas or opinions, for the opinions of any individual or group hold no inherent truth. Truth is merely a construct, as is faith, justice and any other notion we have conjured up over time. We need to divert our attention from those aspects that we deem to make us different or separate from one another, and instead focus on those aspects, of which I believe are far more plentiful, that highlight the unity, or oneness, of all that exists. There is no out there out there, for we are out there as much as we are in here. In the words of Carl Sagan, ‘we are all star stuff’.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
The Canadian professor has an extensive collection posted on his site.
- Peterson's Great Books list features classics by Orwell, Jung, Huxley, and Dostoevsky.
- Categories include literature, neuroscience, religion, and systems analysis.
Cosmologists propose a groundbreaking model of the universe using string theory.
- A new paper uses string theory to propose a new model of the universe.
- The researchers think our universe may be riding a bubble expanded by dark energy.
- All matter in the universe may exist in strings that reach into another dimension.
Despite incredible economic growth, it is not necessarily an investor's paradise.
- China's stock market is just 27 years old. It's economy has grown 30x over that time.
- Imagine if you had invested early and gotten in on the ground floor.
- Actually, you would have lost money. Here's how that's possible.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.