Oliver Sacks Hallucinates, The World Learns
It's the sign of a rigorous scientist to empiricize personal deterioration and apparently Sack's experience revealed some interesting tidbits. He saw chessboards and question marks float in and out of his field of vision in his right eye. This allowed him a geater level of empathy when interacting with his visually-impaired patients. Sacks, who now has no central vision, also landed a gig on Ted Talks, to be posted shortly, where he further revealed the secrets of sight and sightlessness.
- Patients from low-income neighborhoods are most at risk of negative health impacts.
- Unfortunately, many disparate factors are erasing the traditional Bajau way of life.
- Fewer than 50 people worldwide have 'golden blood' — or Rh-null.
- Blood is considered Rh-null if it lacks all of the 61 possible antigens in the Rh system.
- It's also very dangerous to live with this blood type, as so few people have it.
An innovation may lead to lifelike evolving machines.
- Scientists at Cornell University devise a material with 3 key traits of life.
- The goal for the researchers is not to create life but lifelike machines.
- The researchers were able to program metabolism into the material's DNA.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.