Occupy Wall Street: Evicted
Today the Occupy Wall Street protesters were evicted from Zuccotti Park.
Regardless of one's political or economic persuasions, this act will be seen as having been cavalier and performed without thoughtful examination. What was a peaceful protest against the banking community and our government, who has donated and continues to donate tax payer money to the banks, will now morph into a dangerous movement of civil disobedience. The overwhelming majority of Americans will polarize from a disinterest in Occupy Wall Street to taking an aggressive stance for or against!
History is the best teacher in such moments - a monumental mistake has been made at the risk of the people of New York and across the nation. When peaceful protest is denied it always evolves into less peaceful protest.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
In his final years, Martin Luther King, Jr. become increasingly focused on the problem of poverty in America.
- Despite being widely known for his leadership role in the American civil rights movement, Martin Luther King, Jr. also played a central role in organizing the Poor People's Campaign of 1968.
- The campaign was one of the first to demand a guaranteed income for all poor families in America.
- Today, the idea of a universal basic income is increasingly popular, and King's arguments in support of the policy still make a good case some 50 years later.
10 of the most sandbagging, red-herring, and effective logical fallacies.
- Many an otherwise-worthwhile argument has been derailed by logical fallacies.
- Sometimes these fallacies are deliberate tricks, and sometimes just bad reasoning.
- Avoiding these traps makes disgreeing so much better.
- Facebook and Google began as companies with supposedly noble purposes.
- Creating a more connected world and indexing the world's information: what could be better than that?
- But pressure to return value to shareholders came at the expense of their own users.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.