My 2012 Predictions: Pump Priming and Stagflation
I wish you all a happy, healthy and prosperous new year. Some thoughts…
We are not facing a crisis of capitalism; we are looking towards a new, cleaner, fairer capitalism! It will not impair the successful but will, once again, enable the Americandream; hard work and attention to the job at hand can lead to success. The people are demanding and will demand this opportunity. No force will stop it!
2012 will bring:
Pump priming in the early months motivated by Obama’s will to win an election. The pump will not be primed sufficiently to turn the economy yet as the resistance to changeis still powerful, though waning.
The modest prime will release real inflation with no, or little, growth — “Stagflation.” Interest rates will climb to the inflation rate which may reach 6-8% by year end. Though government will wish to control interest rates, the risk of massive inflation will inhibit the probability of success.
There will certainly be Sovereign and banking defaults in 2012, all of which will aid in the cleansing of the world economic cloud and provide part of the foundation for future economic growth and a changed (for the better) brand of capitalism.
We face a year of more transition, a changed economic world, some pain but, ultimately, a world emerging from the black clouds of Recession.
Here is a recent interview I did with Chuck Willbanks for The Deal.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
How you talk to people with drug addiction might save their life.
- Addiction is a learning disorder; it's not a sign that someone is a bad person.
- Tough love doesn't help drug-addicted people. Research shows that the best way to get people help is through compassion, empathy and support. Approach them as an equal human being deserving of respect.
- As a first step to recovery, Maia Szalavitz recommends the family or friends of people with addiction get them a complete psychiatric evaluation by somebody who is not affiliated with any treatment organization. Unfortunately, warns Szalavitz, some people will try to make a profit off of an addicted person without informing them of their full options.
These photos of scientific heroes and accomplishments inspire awe and curiosity.
- Science has given humanity an incalculable boost over the recent centuries, changing our lives in ways both awe-inspiring and humbling.
- Fortunately, photography, a scientific feat in and of itself, has recorded some of the most important events, people and discoveries in science, allowing us unprecedented insight and expanding our view of the world.
- Here are some of the most important scientific photos of history:
China's Chang'e 4 biosphere experiment marks a first for humankind.
- China's Chang'e 4 lunar lander touched down on the far side of the moon on January 3.
- In addition to a lunar rover, the lander carried a biosphere experiment that contains five sets of plants and some insects.
- The experiment is designed to test how astronauts might someday grow plants in space to sustain long-term settlements.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.