Move Over Pompeii
We've long known about Pompeii, the ancient Roman town marvelously preserved after it was buried in lava from the 79 C.E. eruption of Mt. Vesuvius. But there's another ancient city that has withstood the test of time in a more precarious position.
No archaeologists have worked at the site in four decades, but Pavlopetri is close to popular tourist areas making it susceptible to damage from snorkelers and boats in addition to the slow wear and tear of seawater.
Firefighters in California are still struggling to contain several wildfires nearly one week after they broke out.
- Hundreds of people are still missing after three wildfires spread across Northern and Southern California last week.
- 48 of the 50 deaths occurred after the Camp Fire blazed through the town of Paradise, north of Sacramento.
- On Tuesday night, a fourth wildfire broke out, though it's mostly contained.
We know the dangers of too little sleep. Now for the other side of the story.
- Western University researchers found that sleeping over eight hours per night results in cognitive decline.
- Oversleepers suffer similar difficulties on certain cognitive tests as those who sleep under seven hours.
- Not all the news is bad: One night of oversleeping results in a cognitive boost.
Protected animals are feared to be headed for the black market.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.