modernism in art
It is my contention that modernism in art existed between two historical moments. The 'death of god' brought about by Darwin and the rise of scientific rationality and the 'death of death' brought about by invention of penicillin. Modernism was the striving, questioning expression of an age that had to live with doubt about the metaphysical and the permanent threat of death. An infected finger could kill. Penicillin (along with the other mid-century medical revolutions) took this sense of immediate, impending and inescapable mortality out of the day-to day consciousness of the artist. It is there in Rothko, in Joyce, in early Wittgenstein. But that little anti-bacterial changed everything. Postmodernism is the result of doubt without the consciousness of death. One of the reasons it replaced the ethical with the ludic, one of the reasons it seems so very hollow. At its crudest:\nDoubt + imminent and immanent mortality = modernism\nDoubt + ‘health’ = postmodernism \nWhat do you think?
Pfizer's partnerships strengthen their ability to deliver vaccines in developing countries.
- Community healthcare workers face many challenges in their work, including often traveling far distances to see their clients
- Pfizer is helping to drive the UN's sustainable development goals through partnerships.
- Pfizer partnered with AMP and the World Health Organization to develop a training program for healthcare workers.
It's the first time the association hasn't hired a comedian in 16 years.
- The 2018 WHCA ended in controversy after comedian Michelle Wolf made jokes some considered to be offensive.
- The WHCA apologized for Wolf's jokes, though some journalists and many comedians backed the comedian and decried arguments in favor of limiting the types of speech permitted at the event.
- Ron Chernow, who penned a bestselling biography of Alexander Hamilton, will speak at next year's dinner.
A glass of juice has as much sugar, ounce for ounce, as a full-calorie soda. And those vitamins do almost nothing.
Quick: think back to childhood (if you've reached the scary clown you've gone too far). What did your parents or guardians give you to keep you quiet? If you're anything like most parents, it was juice. But here's the thing: juice is bad for you.
A study on flies may hold the key to future addiction treatments.
- A new study suggests that drinking alcohol can affect how memories are stored away as good or bad.
- This may have drastic implications for how addiction is caused and how people recall intoxication.
- The findings may one day lead to a new form of treatment for those suffering from addiction.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.