Mississippi Will Permit Gay Marriage In 2024
Using a simple data matrix, uberpollster Nate Silver has predicted in what order gay marriage will be permitted on a state-by-state basis.
Nate Silver at Five Thirty Eight Politics analyzed each state's record of gay marriage bans, religiosity according to a 2008 Gallup survey, and number of evangelical residents to determine how long it would be before gay marriage was legalized. The results were not as predictable as you might think.
Noting the steady decline in religious conviction alone, Proposition 8 could mark one of the last wholesale gay marriage bans to ever be amended to a state's constitution. Of course, legalization is wholly dependent on the sociopolitical climate. If evangelicals see a renaissance, gay marriage proponents could see their prospects dwindle.
The rankings of the states by year they will likely reject marriage bans:
New research links urban planning and political polarization.
- Canadian researchers find that excessive reliance on cars changes political views.
- Decades of car-centric urban planning normalized unsustainable lifestyles.
- People who prefer personal comfort elect politicians who represent such views.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
Science and the squishiness of the human mind. The joys of wearing whatever the hell you want, and so much more.
- Why can't we have a human-sized cat tree?
- What would happen if you got a spoonful of a neutron star?
- Why do we insist on dividing our wonderfully complex selves into boring little boxes
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.