Mindfulness practices can considerably improve the symptoms of depression and anxiety, especially when used with psychotherapy.
Both schizophrenics and people with a common personality type share similar brain patterns.
- A new study shows that people with a common personality type share brain activity with patients diagnosed with schizophrenia.
- The study gives insight into how the brain activity associated with mental illnesses relates to brain activity in healthy individuals.
- This finding not only improves our understanding of how the brain works but may one day be applied to treatments.
There's a growing understanding that drawing is much more than an art form: it's a powerful tool for learning.
- We often think of drawing as something that takes innate talent, but this kind of thinking stems from our misclassification of drawing as, primarily, an art form rather than a tool for learning.
- Researchers, teachers, and artists are starting to see how drawing can positively impact a wide variety of skills and disciplines.
- Drawing is not an innate gift; rather, it can be taught and developed. Doing so helps people to perceive the world more accurately, remember facts better, and understand their world from a new perspective.
Traveling to Mars is going to be hard. Not going completely bonkers when we're there may be even harder.
- Much of the global effort toward getting humanity to Mars focuses on the technical challenges of doing so, but researchers have paid less attention to keeping astronauts sane on the nearly year-long trip and afterwards.
- Recent research has highlighted exactly how dangerous prolonged space travel will be for our mental health.
- Before humanity can settle the Red Planet, we'll have to figure out a way to protect ourselves from the many stressors of life in space and on Mars.
It's all about smooth pursuit.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.