I’m very mixed on the notion of religion. Very keen on the idea of ethics and virtue but puzzled by just how twisted things become when different flavours of God come into play. \n\nChristmas is ostensibly a religious festival to commemorate the birth of Christ but it seems to have become blotted out by booze and presents and confused by Santa and mistletoe. \n\nThe good news is the tiny vestige of spirituality that can still be found if you look hard enough.\n\nI’m prepared to celebrate the birth of anyone who comes into the world simply to do the right thing. And so are all my Jewish, Muslim, Hindu and Buddhist friends (or any other flavours that I have left out).\n\nWouldn’t it be sublime if, this Christmas, we could share the stories of all the great religious leaders. And let’s pray that everyone listens. So that next year we can live in a more tolerant and diverse world. A place where barbarism, justified in the name of God, is a thing of the past.\n\n
Giving our solar system a "slap in the face"
- A stream of galactic debris is hurtling at us, pulling dark matter along with it
- It's traveling so quickly it's been described as a hurricane of dark matter
- Scientists are excited to set their particle detectors at the onslffaught
Once again, our circadian rhythm points the way.
- Seven individuals were locked inside a windowless, internetless room for 37 days.
- While at rest, they burned 130 more calories at 5 p.m. than at 5 a.m.
- Morning time again shown not to be the best time to eat.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.