Through tertiary training, I learned to measure stuff. Physics taught me to measure to the limits of the measuring-equipment, while Engineering was a little more flippant in its approach to accuracy. I love measuring stuff.
This has carried through to everyday-life in surprising ways. When I finish reading the news over breakfast, I make a call, or measurement, on whether this is an 'Up-Day' or a 'Down-Day' [ in terms of World and National events ]. This does require a concerted effort to seek out any good news.
At the end of each day, I measure on a personal-level if, on balance, this has been a 'Good-Day' or a 'Bad-Day'. Gratifyingly, the G-Ds far outweigh the B-Ds. If I did not employ this technique, I could be tempted to focus on the negatives that are an inevitable part of all lives.
Unfortunately, the U-Ds are significantly fewer than the D-Ds. That's when I apply another trick from Engineering -- "Weighting". This is important to emphasize the things that matter in MY life. I cannot change the world, but I currently have reasonable influence in outcomes for my loved-ones. Yes... It's all about ME, and I make no apology [g].
For the engineeringly-inclined: DR = MD + 0.3 * (WD - 5)
DR == Overall Day Rating for MY world
MD == My Day: Rating on the B-D / G-D Scale [ from 0 to 10, respectively ]
WD == World Day: Rating on the D-D / U-D Scale [ from 0 to 10, respectively ]
Footnote: If this turns out to be a silly idea, BigThink has now provided the means for me to delete it [grin].
New research links urban planning and political polarization.
- Canadian researchers find that excessive reliance on cars changes political views.
- Decades of car-centric urban planning normalized unsustainable lifestyles.
- People who prefer personal comfort elect politicians who represent such views.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
Science and the squishiness of the human mind. The joys of wearing whatever the hell you want, and so much more.
- Why can't we have a human-sized cat tree?
- What would happen if you got a spoonful of a neutron star?
- Why do we insist on dividing our wonderfully complex selves into boring little boxes
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.