Through tertiary training, I learned to measure stuff. Physics taught me to measure to the limits of the measuring-equipment, while Engineering was a little more flippant in its approach to accuracy. I love measuring stuff.
This has carried through to everyday-life in surprising ways. When I finish reading the news over breakfast, I make a call, or measurement, on whether this is an 'Up-Day' or a 'Down-Day' [ in terms of World and National events ]. This does require a concerted effort to seek out any good news.
At the end of each day, I measure on a personal-level if, on balance, this has been a 'Good-Day' or a 'Bad-Day'. Gratifyingly, the G-Ds far outweigh the B-Ds. If I did not employ this technique, I could be tempted to focus on the negatives that are an inevitable part of all lives.
Unfortunately, the U-Ds are significantly fewer than the D-Ds. That's when I apply another trick from Engineering -- "Weighting". This is important to emphasize the things that matter in MY life. I cannot change the world, but I currently have reasonable influence in outcomes for my loved-ones. Yes... It's all about ME, and I make no apology [g].
For the engineeringly-inclined: DR = MD + 0.3 * (WD - 5)
DR == Overall Day Rating for MY world
MD == My Day: Rating on the B-D / G-D Scale [ from 0 to 10, respectively ]
WD == World Day: Rating on the D-D / U-D Scale [ from 0 to 10, respectively ]
Footnote: If this turns out to be a silly idea, BigThink has now provided the means for me to delete it [grin].
Upvote/downvote each of the videos below!
As you vote, keep in mind that we are looking for a winner with the most engaging social venture pitch - an idea you would want to invest in.
Here are 7 often-overlooked World Heritage Sites, each with its own history.
- UNESCO World Heritage Sites are locations of high value to humanity, either for their cultural, historical, or natural significance.
- Some are even designated as World Heritage Sites because humans don't go there at all, while others have felt the effects of too much human influence.
- These 7 UNESCO World Heritage Sites each represent an overlooked or at-risk facet of humanity's collective cultural heritage.
A new study shows that some men's reaction to sex is not what you'd expect, resulting in a condition previously observed in women.
A new method promises to capture an elusive dark world particle.
- Scientists working on the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) devised a method for trapping dark matter particles.
- Dark matter is estimated to take up 26.8% of all matter in the Universe.
- The researchers will be able to try their approach in 2021, when the LHC goes back online.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.