Several nations have started to recognize "same-sex" marriage, others, such as the United States are trying to ban them. The reason "same-sex" is in parentheses is this assumes that there are only 2 genders - even though, in reality, there is a very large diversity of physical and emotional genders.
Should marriages be considered a legal contract with certain legal rights and benefits be between any two consenting adults?
The ability to speak clearly, succinctly, and powerfully is easier than you think
Antimicrobial resistance is growing worldwide, rendering many "work horse" medicines ineffective. Without intervention, drug-resistant pathogens could lead to millions of deaths by 2050. Thankfully, companies like Pfizer are taking action.
- Antimicrobial-resistant pathogens are one of the largest threats to global health today.
- As we get older, our immune systems age, increasing our risk of life threatening infections. Without reliable antibiotics, life expectancy could decline for the first time in modern history.
- If antibiotics become ineffective, common infections could result in hospitalization or even death. Life-saving interventions like cancer treatments and organ transplantation would become more difficult, more often resulting in death. Routine procedures would become hard to perform.
- Without intervention, resistant pathogens could result in 10 million annual deaths by 2050.
- By taking a multi-faceted approach—inclusive of adherence to good stewardship, surveillance and responsible manufacturing practices, as well as an emphasis on prevention and treatment—companies like Pfizer are fighting to help curb the spread.
Journalism got a big wake up call in 2016. Can we be optimistic about the future of media?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.