Mankind's defining achievement, is the Internal Combustion Engine
No other invention or development, not the wheel, the printing press, the computer, nuclear energy, space travel, written language or anything else anyone could name, has so shaped, controlled, extended and limited our develpoment as a species and a society as the ICE. Our methods of travel, the means of employment of millions of people around the world, the economies of all the industrialized nations, are dependent upon the ICE or the peripheral industries related to it's manufacture and use. The ICE is directly and indirectly responsible for most of the resource exploitation and environmental pollution on the planet.
Upvote/downvote each of the videos below!
As you vote, keep in mind that we are looking for a winner with the most engaging social venture pitch - an idea you would want to invest in.
A new method promises to capture an elusive dark world particle.
- Scientists working on the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) devised a method for trapping dark matter particles.
- Dark matter is estimated to take up 26.8% of all matter in the Universe.
- The researchers will be able to try their approach in 2021, when the LHC goes back online.
An innovation may lead to lifelike evolving machines.
- Scientists at Cornell University devise a material with 3 key traits of life.
- The goal for the researchers is not to create life but lifelike machines.
- The researchers were able to program metabolism into the material's DNA.
- As a stand-up comedian, Pete Holmes knows how words can manipulate audiences — for good and bad.
- Words aren't just words. They stich together our social fabric, helping establish and maintain relationships.
- Holmes has a clever linguistic exercise meant to bring you closer to the people around you.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.