A wondrous lie a sweet deception appeared to me at once quite clear
The passion, beauty, and the cold, the very essence of our souls
The vision seemed at first so clear, I for a moment thought it real
A truth so pleasant to behold, I quickly felt empowered, bold
And as these thoughts my head did fill I felt it all love, hatred, fear
A grand illusion truly so, threes more to me then just this fleshy mold
But as the end to this drew near, my mind again was all too clear
These images that seemed alive, now waning pictures in my eyes
And as I let them drift away I felt no love, nor fear, nor hate
They disappeared despite my cries, and now they truly seem but lies
Threes no remorse, for that its late, without them is a milder fate
I shall not miss these severed ties, just watch my essence as it dies
And as the embers lose their glow, one would presume I felt a cold
But I was neither warm nor cold, I simply was, or so was told.
Tell me what you guys think, i know its a bit repetative. I just threw it tigather before going to sleep, felt a bit of inspiration. Please be critical if you think its terrible let me know. Its a shakespearin sonnet by the way, with 2 ryming schemes.
The way that you think about stress can actually transform the effect that it has on you – and others.
- Stress is contagious, and the higher up in an organization you are the more your stress will be noticed and felt by others.
- Kelly McGonigal teaches "Reset your mindset to reduce stress" for Big Think Edge.
- Subscribe to Big Think Edge before we launch on March 30 to get 20% off monthly and annual memberships.
Three scientists publish paper proving that not Venus but Mercury is the closest planet to Earth
- Earth is the third planet from the Sun, so our closest neighbour must be planet two of four, right?
- Wrong! Neither Venus nor Mars is the right answer.
- Three scientists ran the numbers. In this YouTube video, one of them explains why our nearest neighbour is... Mercury!
The blood of horseshoe crabs is harvested on a massive scale in order to retrieve a cell critical to medical research. However, recent innovations might make this practice obsolete.
- Horseshoe crabs' blue blood is so valuable that a quart of it can be sold for $15,000.
- This is because it contains a molecule that is crucial to the medical research community.
- Today, however, new innovations have resulted in a synthetic substitute that may end the practice of farming horseshoe crabs for their blood.
The distance between the American dream and reality is expressed best through literature.
- Literature expands our ability to feel empathy and inspires compassion.
- These ten novels tackle some facet of the American experience.
- The list includes a fictional retelling of the first Native American to graduate from Harvard and hiding out in inner city Newark.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.