Recent exhaustive conversations with a devout Catholic friend ended with him defending his take on the modern catholic God, after he'd equivocated on most of the core tenets of that faith, by stating 'God is love'... (and he studied for the priesthood for 7 years!). His erstwhile holy book, mostly speaks of love FOR God as being the desired direction for that emotion. Paul spat it out in Galations as to what our true self is.. 'what the spirit wants is opposed to what our nature wants... human nature shows itself in immoral, filthy and indecent actions'.. The Xtian philosophy has headed down that rocky road ever since, where this human flesh life is worthless and can only be improved by dying. We are trash vessles at best, so get over it.
I hereby claim love as the greatest ability in the universe for humanity. (apologies to the dolphins!) As god is obviously a man made construct, and a pretty second rate one at that, it's the finest thing we have. It's benefits dwarf what can be found by devoting your life to Isis, Thor, Venus, Jesus, Cats, Jehovah, Cows, Satan, Govinda, Allah, L Ron Hubbard, Darth Vader and any other cult figures. Madison Ave can try to package and sell it, and Hollywood can demean it at every turn. It endures as the best of us. Truly from within.
I have faith in humans, as we've achieved so much, and dry evolutionary biological analysis aside (yes it does make sense to have empathy for survival and, yes we see it in other animal groups).. humans have ratcheted empathy up several degrees to love, clearly our most precious gift, to each other... the sky dudes can look on with jealous (non existant) eyes!
Malcolm Gladwell teaches "Get over yourself and get to work" for Big Think Edge.
- Learn to recognize failure and know the big difference between panicking and choking.
- At Big Think Edge, Malcolm Gladwell teaches how to check your inner critic and get clear on what failure is.
- Subscribe to Big Think Edge before we launch on March 30 to get 20% off monthly and annual memberships.
Neuroscience research suggests it might be time to rethink our ideas about when exactly a child becomes an adult.
- Research suggests that most human brains take about 25 years to develop, though these rates can vary among men and women, and among individuals.
- Although the human brain matures in size during adolescence, important developments within the prefrontal cortex and other regions still take pace well into one's 20s.
- The findings raise complex ethical questions about the way our criminal justice systems punishes criminals in their late teens and early 20s.
Does believing in true love make people act like jerks?
- Ghosting, or cutting off all contact suddenly with a romantic partner, is not nice.
- Growth-oriented people (who think relationships are made, not born) do not appreciate it.
- Destiny-oriented people (who believe in soulmates) are more likely to be okay with ghosting.
A new method of growing mini-brains produces some startling results.
- Researchers find a new and inexpensive way to keep organoids growing for a year.
- Axons from the study's organoids attached themselves to embryonic mouse spinal cord cells.
- The mini-brains took control of muscles connected to the spinal cords.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.