Language Use & Abuse
Advertisers use it to influence purchase. Politicians use it to shape policies and win elections. Educators use it to teach children. Language to explain, inform, and persuade binds us together. Thus, was it always so, but the speed today with which information and TV/internet images spread is new. My concern is the degree to which people are unaware of how they are being manipulated and what the consequences are to our democracy and to our culture. Think the Iraq war, the coded meaning in "family values," even the euphemisms "pro-choice" and "pro-life." Isn't it time to revive rhetoric and civics courses in our schools and public discourse so that people can deal realistically with the critical issues facing us in the 21st century?
Pfizer's partnerships strengthen their ability to deliver vaccines in developing countries.
- Community healthcare workers face many challenges in their work, including often traveling far distances to see their clients
- Pfizer is helping to drive the UN's sustainable development goals through partnerships.
- Pfizer partnered with AMP and the World Health Organization to develop a training program for healthcare workers.
Orangutans join humans and bees in a very exclusive club
- Orangutan mothers wait to sound a danger alarm to avoid tipping off predators to their location
- It took a couple of researchers crawling around the Sumatran jungle to discover the phenomenon
- This ability may come from a common ancestor
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
Journaling can help you materialize your ambitions.
- Organizing your thoughts can help you plan and achieve goals that might otherwise seen unobtainable.
- The Bullet Journal method, in particular, can reduce clutter in your life by helping you visualize your future.
- One way to view your journal might be less of a narrative and more of a timeline of decisions.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.