Language Use & Abuse
Advertisers use it to influence purchase. Politicians use it to shape policies and win elections. Educators use it to teach children. Language to explain, inform, and persuade binds us together. Thus, was it always so, but the speed today with which information and TV/internet images spread is new. My concern is the degree to which people are unaware of how they are being manipulated and what the consequences are to our democracy and to our culture. Think the Iraq war, the coded meaning in "family values," even the euphemisms "pro-choice" and "pro-life." Isn't it time to revive rhetoric and civics courses in our schools and public discourse so that people can deal realistically with the critical issues facing us in the 21st century?
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Is it "perverseness," the "death drive," or something else?
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.