Kindness Comes Naturally
Miller-McCune is reporting today on a Personality and Social Psychology study indicating that a connection to nature not only has stress-reducing and healing qualities, but that it also makes us kinder people. Green spaces promote selflessness, empathy, and peaceful coexistence. How do Big Think experts weigh in?
Zen Master Den Genpo Merzel, Roshi found enlightenment on a mountain in California’s Mojave Desert near Jawbone Canyon. Alan Weisman, author of the The World Without Us, also connects nature to spirituality, explaining how it gave him a reverence for life. Majora Carter told Big Think about the importance of green areas to urban spaces, and chronicled the human costs of environmental degradation.
So nature’s power is not disputed by Big Thinkers—but are there solutions for those of us stuck in an office cubicle? According to an Environment and Behavior study, all it takes is an image of a natural scene to ease stress significantly. So listen to photographer Sebastian Copeland’s advice on shooting landscapes, get a good photo, and become kinder naturally.
A federal judge ruled that the Trump administration likely violated the reporter's Fifth Amendment rights when it stripped his press credentials earlier this month.
- Acosta will be allowed to return to the White House on Friday.
- The judge described the ruling as narrow, and didn't rule one way or the other on violations of the First Amendment.
- The case is still open, and the administration may choose to appeal the ruling.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
The definition of a kilogram will now be fixed to Planck's constant, a fundamental part of quantum physics.
- The new definition of a kilogram is based on a physical constant in quantum physics.
- Unlike the current definition of a kilogram, this measurement will never change.
- Scientists also voted to update the definitions of several other measurements in physics.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.