Japan's Bloody Waters
Japan's legal killings of whales and dolphins has drawn the ire of environmental groups for years. But now a new film, using some clandestine camera technology, has documented the killing in graphic detail for the world at large.
The Cove, a new documentary, tracks the dolphin killings in Taiji, Japan. The area harvests dolphins to sell both live to aquatic attractions and also as meat. The whole area is fenced off; the filmmakers had to break the law and get creative to get capture their footage, including using aerial drones and phony rocks with cameras inside.
The Japanese government acknowledges that its fishermen slaughter about 23,000 dolphins each year, but the killing is legal there and government officials argue that eating dolphin meat is a cultural tradition. The country has gotten plenty of heat over its widespread whaling, too, though the government maintains that whale killing is done in the same of scientific research.
Last year Japan revealed that its scientific whaling program had killed 4,500 whales, though American scientists argued that the same results could have been achieved by only giving the whales biopsies, and not killing them. Though Japan defends its right to both dolphin and whale killing in the name of science and tradition, it certainly wants to shield both from bad publicity. The filmmakers behind The Cove were harassed, but still managed to get their grisly footage of the waters stained red with blood.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
Even when they suffer costs in doing so.
- It's commonly thought that the suppression of female sexuality is perpetuated by either men or women.
- In a new study, researchers used economics games to observe how both genders treat sexually-available women.
- The results suggests that both sexes punish female promiscuity, though for different reasons and different levels of intensity.
Thinking your life is worthwhile is correlated with a variety of positive outcomes.
- A new study finds that adults who feel their lives are meaningful have better health and life outcomes.
- Adults who felt their lives were worthwhile tended to be more social and had healthier habits.
- The findings could be used to help improve the health of older adults.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.