is suicide a final act of bravery or cowardice? how could one know?
Suicide is a choice towards ending one's "mortal" existence. Only that individual can know the circumstances of their intent, even when a message or "evidence" is left behind. It obviously changes nothing, pertaining to the deceased's reason, for anyone else to know. When others say "If we can find out why they did what they did, "maybe" it can help someone else." this is simply a justification for pursuing such information.
When we learn to be primarily "listeners" vs. self-focused "talkers, people who are considering ending their life (and at times others, in conjunction with), as well as all people, will have an increased chance of not making decisions for wrong or incomplete reasons.
International poker champion Liv Boeree teaches decision-making for Big Think Edge.
The way that you think about stress can actually transform the effect that it has on you – and others.
- Stress is contagious, and the higher up in an organization you are the more your stress will be noticed and felt by others.
- Kelly McGonigal teaches "Reset your mindset to reduce stress" for Big Think Edge.
- Subscribe to Big Think Edge before we launch on March 30 to get 20% off monthly and annual memberships.
Tracking project establishes northern Argentina is wintering ground of Swainson's hawks
- Watch these six dots move across the map and be moved yourself: this is a story about coming of age, discovery, hardship, death and survival.
- Each dot is a tag attached to the talon of a Swainson's Hawk. We follow them on their very first migration, from northern California all the way down to Argentina.
- After one year, only one is still alive.
These quick bursts of inspiration will brighten your day in 10 minutes or less.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.