Why the Solution to Bad Speech is Always More Speech
We live in a country so cool you can take the flag and burn it on stage in Vegas.
We do a bit in our show where we burn an American Flag and then restore it. A friend of ours who’s a great magician named Jamy Ian Swiss was talking about how the burned and restored handkerchief trick. You borrow a handkerchief from the audience, burn it and restore it. It was a great trick but it didn’t mean anything. Jamy said, “I always thought someone should do that with the flag.” Automatically, you have some meaning there.
And Teller and I had just gotten back from doing shows in Egypt, China and India. When I traveled overseas I just found myself more of an American than I’ve ever been before. And I came back and Teller and I wanted to do something really patriotic. We wanted to just celebrate living in the USA. And our way to do that was to burn the flag and restore it and talk about freedom of speech.
We live in a country so cool you can take the flag and burn it on stage in Vegas. And that was the goal, to do a patriotic bit. You know, we’ve always hated people who in their shows waved the flag, but we wanted to wave the flag. We wanted to do exactly what bad Vegas shows do and do flag waving, but do it in our own way. So our way of sliding in the suite was to burn the flag.
I remember saying to G. Gordan Liddy, "you’re going to come to our show, we’re going to burn the flag, and you’re going to stand up and cheer." And he said, "No, that’s something I will not tolerate. It may be inside our freedoms, but it is not something that I will condone." I said, “Okay, come to our show.” I said to Glenn Beck, “We’re going to burn the American flag and you’re going to cheer." And he went, “Huh? What?” That’s what we wanted to do. We wanted to do a patriotic bit that was honestly from our hearts patriotic. And one of the things that Teller and I loved the most about the ideas of this country (I have to say the ideas of this country, as opposed to the reality because of the Patriot Act and a lot of the other stuff that the Bush/Obama one, two punch put through) is freedom of speech. It’s a total celebration of freedom of speech and it means a lot to me.
I say the line in that bit, “Teller and I consider ourselves patriotic.” I don’t know if that’s really true. I hope it’s the lie that tells the greater truth. I hope that it’s a higher level of patriotism, but I don’t see myself as a flag-waver in any way. But I do see myself as believing in the basic ideals of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. I think those are really important and I think freedom of speech is absolute. I think burning the flag is also talking about Fred Phelps being able to do things that make us sick. And I think it’s also talking about how it’s okay for AMC to say they won’t show “The Aristocrats.” I agree more than anything with the idea that the solution to bad speech is more speech. And that’s why Penn and Teller do a flag burning in the show.
In Their Own Words is recorded in Big Think's studio.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A NASA astronomer explains how astronauts dispose of their, uh, dark matter.
- When nature calls in micro-gravity, astronauts must answer. Space agencies have developed suction-based toilets – with a camera built in to ensure all the waste is contained before "flushing".
- Yes, there have been floaters in space. The early days of space exploration were a learning curve!
- Amazingly, you don't need gravity to digest food. Peristalsis, the process by which your throat and intestines squeeze themselves, actually moves food and water through your digestive system without gravity at all.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.