What I Want to Do When I Grow Up
The most important part of life is work, it’s the flow, it’s getting stuff done, feeling like you’re doing something. We have that in spades. We’re really, really happy.
If you asked me when I was 17 what I wanted to do when I was in my 50’s - let’s imagine I could think of being in my 50’s - what I would want is to work with one of the most talented magic show biz minds that’s ever lived, have what is to my Greenfield, Massachusetts sensibility, not to Donald Trump, but to my sensibility, an unlimited amount of money, have a theater that, not to Lady Gaga, but to me is a huge theater - 1,500 seats, that’s pretty big theater, people coming to see us every night...And then be able to do crazy, crazy, crazy ideas that Teller and I think are beautiful with absolutely no one but the audience watching over us.
Ceasars gave us the Penn and Teller Theater. "Do the show you want." I mean, there’s financial stuff going on, but that’s what I’m talking about. They have no artistic input whatsoever. People come to see your show, they enjoy it, we’re fine. Good-night, thank you very much. We’ll have the slot machines. It’s an amazing, amazing situation. It’s beautiful, it’s powerful, it’s all life is. The most important part of life is work, it’s the flow, it’s getting stuff done, feeling like you’re doing something. We have that in spades. We’re really, really happy.
In Their Own Words is recorded in Big Think's studio.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock
- The meaning of the word 'confidence' seems obvious. But it's not the same as self-esteem.
- Confidence isn't just a feeling on your inside. It comes from taking action in the world.
- Join Big Think Edge today and learn how to achieve more confidence when and where it really matters.
- Bad outcomes get criticized as evidence of bad decisions, but that's not necessarily so.
- Here, poker pro Annie Duke desribes a simple thought experiment that separates decisions from outcomes.
- It is quite possible to make a very good decision that, due to external factors, results in a bad outcome.
Decide to Play Great Poker: A Strategy Guide to No-Limit Texas Hold '’Em
American geneticists take a stand against the misuse of their science by racists.
- The largest society of geneticists decries the distortion of ideas by racists.
- Science does not support the concept of race.
- Race is a social construct, explain the scientists.
If you're lacking confidence and feel like you could benefit from an ego boost, try writing your life story.
In truth, so much of what happens to us in life is random – we are pawns at the mercy of Lady Luck. To take ownership of our experiences and exert a feeling of control over our future, we tell stories about ourselves that weave meaning and continuity into our personal identity.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.