We Need to Have a Big Conversation About Big Data
I’m so concerned about the fact that Big Data is going to change the world in every conceivable way.
Rick Smolan is a photographer who used to work for National Geographic and Time and the creator of the Day in the Life series.
I think that it’s incredibly important to people, all of us start having this conversation right now about big data and what it means, who owns it, what’s being done with our information, who controls it, because I’m so concerned about the fact that this is going to change the world in every conceivable way.
The world that our children living in is going to be completely different because of big data. And I want to make sure that we are all part of that conversation and it’s not just companies and corporations that are making these decisions. Because some of these things will get started getting set in stone. It'll will be very hard to change them going forward. I don’t believe our politicians have a clue. If you look at the morass in Washington right now of getting anything done, I don’t know who it is that supposed to make the decisions but I somehow I feel like the politicians are the last ones who are going to actually either understand it or spend time or be willing to risk their own political careers to actually fight back against corporations and governments to actually protect us as individuals.
So I think we need to be having the conversation. We’ve just given out a copy of the Human Face of Big Data to 10,000 of the most influential men and women in the world. We've just delivered the book to world leaders, Fortune 500 CEO’s, heads of media companies, Olympic winners, movie stars, musicians. We just want people who have other people paying attention to them to start talking about big data. I don’t care if it’s about our book or our app, I just want people to be having this conversation while there's still time to actually influence and affect the outcome.
In Their Own Words is recorded in Big Think's studio.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock
A federal judge ruled that the Trump administration likely violated the reporter's Fifth Amendment rights when it stripped his press credentials earlier this month.
- Acosta will be allowed to return to the White House on Friday.
- The judge described the ruling as narrow, and didn't rule one way or the other on violations of the First Amendment.
- The case is still open, and the administration may choose to appeal the ruling.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
The definition of a kilogram will now be fixed to Planck's constant, a fundamental part of quantum physics.
- The new definition of a kilogram is based on a physical constant in quantum physics.
- Unlike the current definition of a kilogram, this measurement will never change.
- Scientists also voted to update the definitions of several other measurements in physics.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.