Understanding Addiction: Why I Only Need Two Drinks and You Need Eight
If your mother was stressed during pregnancy, then you have a higher probability of being an addict when you grow up.
The brain’s pleasure circuit is critically dependent upon a neurotransmitter called Dopamine. And so if you carry a genetic variance that turns down the Dopamine function within your pleasure circuit, Dopamine receptors or enzymes that process or package Dopamine for release at the synapses, which are the connections between neurons, then your pleasure will be blunted.
So for example, I go into a bar, I drink two drinks, I feel a little tipsy, I feel good, I hand out with my friends, I leave, I go home. Someone who inherits a genetic variant where their Dopamine signaling is turned down, they go into the bar, they’ve got to have eight drinks to feel the same pleasure that I could get with two.
So it really seems across addictions, not just for alcohol and drugs, but for gambling and sex and food that addicts are attempting to seek the same set point of pleasure through overindulgence that so-called normals can get with more moderate consumption.
In Their Own Words is recorded in Big Think's studio.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Even some teachers suffer from anxiety about math.
I teach people how to teach math, and I've been working in this field for 30 years. Across those decades, I've met many people who suffer from varying degrees of math trauma – a form of debilitating mental shutdown when it comes to doing mathematics.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
The legacy of Felix Dzerzhinsky, who led Soviet secret police in the "Red Terror," still confounds Russia.
- Felix Dzerzhinsky led the Cheka, Soviet Union's first secret police.
- The Cheka was infamous for executing thousands during the Red Terror of 1918.
- The Cheka later became the KGB, the spy organization where Russia's President Putin served for years.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.